Friday, August 20, 2010

Can I get some English phrases translated to Irish Gaelic?

Me and my best friend are getting matching tattoos and want to get something in Irish Gaelic. I have some phrases/words we're thinking about, I've looked them up on Gaelic dictionaries but there's so many different meanings I want to make sure I get the translation right so it means what we want it to. Here's what we're thinking about:



~ Triumph takes time



~Friendship, Love, and Loyalty (meaning of the Claddagh)



~Victorious



If anyone has any other suggestions for what to get that's cool, we both recently went through some really bad stuff and are moving in together to kind of help each other through it, we've known each other since 4th grade so we want to get something special.



Can I get some English phrases translated to Irish Gaelic?antivirus programs



Thanks for the nice compliment Hoptoad! Alas however, I too am prone to make mistakes ...



These are easy translations - they're all common words - but if it's for tattoos I assume you want them to be as concise as possible. Witch gave an excellent reference to an online Irish dictionary but you need to be aware of contexts for the meanings. I'll give several translations for each with their literal meanings and you can choose.



Triumph takes time:



I assume you mean ''victory'' by ''triumph'', not the celebration afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment